TIFF
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TIFF

NEWBIES WELCOMED & ENCOURAGED, TUTORIALS ON CAMERA USE & PHOTO EDITING, DISCUSSION, SHARING AND HONEST CRITIQUE

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterStatsLog in

Buttermere - Most beautiful lake in Cumbria

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
jonorob
Addict
Addict
jonorob

Male
Number of posts : 831
Registration date : 2007-02-24

Buttermere - Most beautiful lake in Cumbria Empty
PostSubject: Buttermere - Most beautiful lake in Cumbria   Buttermere - Most beautiful lake in Cumbria Icon_minitimeSat Feb 24, 2007 6:59 pm

Buttermere - Most beautiful lake in Cumbria Img_1510

ok first image loaded up.. hum.. I think

Buttermere in the Lake District
Back to top Go down
https://servimg.com/images.php?cat_id=0&start=15
byteme
Admin
Admin
byteme

Male
Number of posts : 3217
Registration date : 2007-02-04

PostSubject: Re: Buttermere - Most beautiful lake in Cumbria   Buttermere - Most beautiful lake in Cumbria Icon_minitimeSat Feb 24, 2007 7:07 pm

Jono - a stunning start - what fantastic perspective - great reflection - I like the way the foreground leads the eye towards the horizan - John
Back to top Go down
imagesbytlp
Fanatic
Fanatic
imagesbytlp

Female
Number of posts : 1209
Registration date : 2007-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Buttermere - Most beautiful lake in Cumbria   Buttermere - Most beautiful lake in Cumbria Icon_minitimeSat Feb 24, 2007 7:23 pm

Awesome image...love how it leads...nice.
Back to top Go down
jonorob
Addict
Addict
jonorob

Male

PostSubject: Re: Buttermere - Most beautiful lake in Cumbria   Buttermere - Most beautiful lake in Cumbria Icon_minitimeSat Feb 24, 2007 7:57 pm

Buttermere - Most beautiful lake in Cumbria IMG_0175_edit_1

See the rocks in the foreground in the first image..
With a really low angle they become monster rocks, I thought this was quite fun. One advantage of the swivel screen on the Canon S3 I think if you did this with a DSLR at the very least you would get wet...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Buttermere - Most beautiful lake in Cumbria   Buttermere - Most beautiful lake in Cumbria Icon_minitimeSat Feb 24, 2007 10:55 pm

Stunning Image Dr.Jono.

This one would make a great pic for a calendar. :)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Buttermere - Most beautiful lake in Cumbria   Buttermere - Most beautiful lake in Cumbria Icon_minitimeSun Feb 25, 2007 2:22 pm

Heya Jono - nice to see you here - I'm the resident pest that looks at the images and thinks 'if only' so & so had been done - if you'd rather I didn't do that, just let me know...

This looks like a lovely location, but your shot is lacking just a little of the tonal range that it could have - a quick push of your levels brings it up nicely, as does just a touch of sharpening to pull up the detail in the rock there - how's this one look??

Buttermere - Most beautiful lake in Cumbria Lake11
Back to top Go down
jonorob
Addict
Addict
jonorob

Male

PostSubject: Re: Buttermere - Most beautiful lake in Cumbria   Buttermere - Most beautiful lake in Cumbria Icon_minitimeSun Feb 25, 2007 9:03 pm

Thanks, thats why I am here, learn and share. When you say push the levels, how are you doing this. I understand the sharpening bit.. I agree, I like the improvement

Cheers Jono
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Buttermere - Most beautiful lake in Cumbria   Buttermere - Most beautiful lake in Cumbria Icon_minitimeMon Feb 26, 2007 3:06 am

To 'push' the levels, just open up the levels tool (ctrl-L in PS, or apple-L on a mac) and bring the black and white points up to the edge of where you actually have tone - in this image, the blacks start a little way up the histogram, and the whites flatten out - by shifting the black and white points, you spread the tonal range in use between the tonal range you can use, and maximise what's in your shot - the blacks get blacker instead of being gray, and the whites brighten up... a little tweak to the midtones, and you're 90% there, without using brightness/contrast, or shadows/highlights, which are potentially two of the most destructive tools in PS for the detail in your image...

Some people prefer to use the curves tool - I find it slower, and I'm more likely to spend an age tweaking the image all over with curves - a simple bump of your levels will help pull details out of haze, brighten up dull, lifeless images, and bring the colour back into shots...

In PS, you can hold the alt key as you use the levels to get a visual representation of what exactly is going 'black' or 'white', so you don't block up the shadows, or blow all your highlights... I like to see a full tonal range in an image though, right through from black to white - it's what gives your eye a benchmark to compare the rest of the tones with - hence an image without any true black looking grey and washed out, but one with a good range looking punchy and bright...

Cheers,
Stuart
Back to top Go down
sassy
Admin
Admin
sassy

Female
Number of posts : 3737
Registration date : 2007-01-12

PostSubject: Re: Buttermere - Most beautiful lake in Cumbria   Buttermere - Most beautiful lake in Cumbria Icon_minitimeMon Feb 26, 2007 3:11 am

a great description of what you did Stuart, i think i'm learning more here in 2 months than i did in 18 months over on the zo
Back to top Go down
https://sassphotography.editboard.com
jonorob
Addict
Addict
jonorob

Male

PostSubject: Re: Buttermere - Most beautiful lake in Cumbria   Buttermere - Most beautiful lake in Cumbria Icon_minitimeMon Feb 26, 2007 10:25 am

Stuart, thanks this is very useful. I agree with Sharon, I have started to learn. This is so good.

thanks again
Jono
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Buttermere - Most beautiful lake in Cumbria   Buttermere - Most beautiful lake in Cumbria Icon_minitimeTue Feb 27, 2007 12:15 am

Very nice image Jono and with the help of the maste teacher, we are surely all going to improve immensely. :-)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Buttermere - Most beautiful lake in Cumbria   Buttermere - Most beautiful lake in Cumbria Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Buttermere - Most beautiful lake in Cumbria
Page 1 of 1