TIFF
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TIFF

NEWBIES WELCOMED & ENCOURAGED, TUTORIALS ON CAMERA USE & PHOTO EDITING, DISCUSSION, SHARING AND HONEST CRITIQUE

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterStatsLog in

Bird in Blue

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Bird in Blue Empty
PostSubject: Bird in Blue   Bird in Blue Icon_minitimeFri Feb 09, 2007 10:26 am

I am thinking of entering this into a Landscape competition at the camera club and would like to now two things.

1. what do you think of it.

and

2. do you think it qualifies as a Landscape?

Bird in Blue BirdinBlue
Back to top Go down

Bird in Blue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bird in Blue   Bird in Blue Icon_minitimeFri Feb 09, 2007 2:37 pm

I like it, but then again I have been told that I have no style... :lol:

I like the pilings on either side that lead me into the foggy nothingness beyond... kind of makes me use my imagination, you know?

There is an awful lot of empty white space there, but I think that serves to emphasize that feeling of the great unknown. I only mention it, because I'm sure someone else will sooner or later...for some reason folks don't like to see unoccupied space and must relentlessy crop out any unnecessary real estate...I hear there is a twelve step program for those poor souls now...Rolling Eyes

As far as landscape or not... I guess that depends on how anal they are when describing landscape. I myself am undecided because I could see someone calling it a seascape. At the same time, I'm hardheaded enough to try and argue that any scenic picture taken with the long side horizontal could be a landscape, as that is it's orientation...

Not sure if this rambling diatribe has helped or not, but those are my feelings on it. I think it's a great piece and could see it hanging on someone's wall.
Back to top Go down

Bird in Blue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bird in Blue   Bird in Blue Icon_minitimeFri Feb 09, 2007 2:56 pm

Depends on how your judge, and your club, looks at it... it COULD fly as a landscape, but you're just as likely to get thrown 'out of category' because it IS a seascape - there *should* be a certain percentage of land in the image...

The orientation is indeed 'landscape', as opposed to 'portrait', but I think you'd need to plan to lose if you're going to argue the orientation of a shot makes it eligible for a competition - that's like trying to enter a 'portrait' oriented shot of a tree on a hilltop into a portrait competition and wondering why you're ruled out... Can you take a picture of a tiger in landscape orientation and legitimately call it a landscape, if all you can see is a little grass under it's front paws??

Cheers,
Stuart

P.S. I love the shot - and it's something different, so you'll either get great points, or crap points... either or - I doubt any judge would be undecided about it...
Back to top Go down
Emilie Jay
Technical Advisor
Technical Advisor
Emilie Jay

Female
Number of posts : 488
Registration date : 2007-01-19

Bird in Blue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bird in Blue   Bird in Blue Icon_minitimeFri Feb 09, 2007 3:13 pm

Stewart I love this shot. It is definitely a seascape but it would depend on your club and how they categorize landscape vs seascape. In our club we have them separate. I am all for the white space. This one is a winner in my books, but you know I like those foggy shots :) I like how the pilings lead you into the mystery of the unknown

hugs
Emilie
Back to top Go down
http://www.siskastudios.com

Bird in Blue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bird in Blue   Bird in Blue Icon_minitimeFri Feb 09, 2007 11:10 pm

Thanks for the feedback folks.

I don't think the members of the club would have a problem with it, it is the judges that worry me, they are such a fickle bunch of old school traditionalists. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Bird in Blue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bird in Blue   Bird in Blue Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bird in Blue
Page 1 of 1