TIFF
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TIFF

NEWBIES WELCOMED & ENCOURAGED, TUTORIALS ON CAMERA USE & PHOTO EDITING, DISCUSSION, SHARING AND HONEST CRITIQUE

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterStatsLog in

Waterton Lake Canada

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
ssccr
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Number of posts : 179
Registration date : 2007-06-16

Waterton Lake Canada Empty
PostSubject: Waterton Lake Canada   Waterton Lake Canada Icon_minitimeSat Jun 30, 2007 11:25 am

This is my first photo post
Waterton Lake Canada Boat_r10
Back to top Go down
byteme
Admin
Admin
byteme

Male
Number of posts : 3217
Registration date : 2007-02-04

PostSubject: Re: Waterton Lake Canada   Waterton Lake Canada Icon_minitimeSat Jun 30, 2007 6:40 pm

Sue, Lovely composition especially with the mountain creating a lovely backdrop that you've caught perfectly.

This one would perhaps benefit from a bit of post edit (Paint shop etc) to clone out the twig(??) at the top that could be a distraction and maybe play with brightness and contrast to bring out the colour and shape.(??)

But a super landscape shot - thanks for sharing ~ John Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ssccr
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Waterton Lake Canada   Waterton Lake Canada Icon_minitimeSat Jun 30, 2007 10:21 pm

Thank you for your comments john i will have a play with paint shop pro and do what you suggest i value your input.
Back to top Go down
Griz
Addict
Addict
Griz

Male
Number of posts : 594
Registration date : 2007-06-25

PostSubject: first photo: first critique -   Waterton Lake Canada Icon_minitimeSun Jul 01, 2007 12:32 am

Hi Sue
This is my first attempt at a photo critique so if I'm a little ham-handed please forgive me.

The main problem I have with this shot is that the center of the picture is the gas dock, and I kind of doubt that was the intended focal point of the picture.
If you had moved the center of the picture up, the center of the picture would then have been on the mountain and the gas dock would have been a little less obvious in the foreground. It also would have put a little more sky in the picture which I think would improve the shot.
For this picture I would crop the bottom just above the pier in the foreground which again moves the center of the picture to the mountain.
I hope you don't mind, I downloaded the picture and cropped it as I mentioned just to see what it would look like. I left it the full width of the original picture and the wider aspect ratio gives it a more panoramic feel.

(Okay, question for the folks that run this forum.
Should you post modified photos in a critique, or just describe the changes you would make?)

Hoping I'm not out of line...

-Griz Waterton Lake Canada 240258
Back to top Go down
http://picasaweb.google.com/jmoss80917
ssccr
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Waterton Lake Canada   Waterton Lake Canada Icon_minitimeSun Jul 01, 2007 12:43 am

Hi Griz many thanks for your comments and for taking the time to put another angle on my shot. I for one would be quite interested to see what you have done with it .I need all the help and advice i can get to improve my shots. I am also very new so i am not sure of the rules but i'm sure someone will let us know.
Back to top Go down
Griz
Addict
Addict
Griz

Male
Number of posts : 594
Registration date : 2007-06-25

PostSubject: Re: Waterton Lake Canada   Waterton Lake Canada Icon_minitimeSun Jul 01, 2007 12:55 am

Thanks Sue
I was a little worried about stepping out but on the other hand I want to be part of this forum too.
So here's what I did with your photo.

Waterton Lake Canada Boat_r11

I don't have Photoshop so I couldn't "clone" out the twig. I'm using Picasa2 which is a free photo-organizer that I downloaded from Google. It has some basic photo editing tools , crop, contrast, color which work pretty well, considering it free *lol*

- Griz
Back to top Go down
http://picasaweb.google.com/jmoss80917
ssccr
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Waterton Lake Canada   Waterton Lake Canada Icon_minitimeSun Jul 01, 2007 1:10 am

Griz
Ilike what you have done and i see what you mean thanks
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Waterton Lake Canada   Waterton Lake Canada Icon_minitimeSun Jul 01, 2007 11:02 am

I like what Griz has done to the picture but would do one further crop and that would be to the right hand side to lose the white storage container on the edge of the pic..

I also endorse what John P said about a levels adjustment to bring out the colours more and to darken it a little. Very Happy

Keep up the good work Sue you are doing fine. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ssccr
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Waterton Lake Canada   Waterton Lake Canada Icon_minitimeSun Jul 01, 2007 11:42 am

Thank you Bad Man
yes it would be well worth the exrta crop. it really is worth posting a raw shot to the kind of feedback i have recieved. I will have another play with it Thanks everone.
Back to top Go down
byteme
Admin
Admin
byteme

Male
Number of posts : 3217
Registration date : 2007-02-04

PostSubject: Re: Waterton Lake Canada   Waterton Lake Canada Icon_minitimeSun Jul 01, 2007 12:26 pm

Sue, I hope you don't mind but I downloaded your photo and had a quick 5 minute 'play' - this is the result but much more could be done if you so wish.
I have stated the changes made below using the Paint Shop Pro XI programme you have ~ John

Waterton Lake Canada Boat_r10

Adjust> Sharpness> Sharpen (once only)
Adjust> Brightness & Contrast> Adjust contrast to 28
Adjust> Brighness & Contrast> Clarify> setting 8
Adjust> Hue/Saturation & Lighness> adjust saturation to 14
I cloned out the twig at the top and cropped the bottom and right side
The border is created in:
Image> add border> Black > size 4
Image>add border> White > size 24
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content