TIFF
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TIFF

NEWBIES WELCOMED & ENCOURAGED, TUTORIALS ON CAMERA USE & PHOTO EDITING, DISCUSSION, SHARING AND HONEST CRITIQUE

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterStatsLog in

Wild Flower and a question

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Griz
Addict
Addict
Griz

Male
Number of posts : 594
Registration date : 2007-06-25

Wild Flower and a question Empty
PostSubject: Wild Flower and a question   Wild Flower and a question Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2007 5:50 am

Wild Flower and a question Co_flo10 (alt+p)

Hi I'm new to the forum so I figure I'll display my ignorace right up front and get it over with *lol*
I took this years ago with my 35mm, a Canon AE1. I like the depth of field effect and I knew that if I set the AE1 to a macro focus and had a distant background I'd get it. I now have a Fuji Finepix S5100 and I can't seem to get the same effect. What's the secret?

Thanks
Griz
Back to top Go down
http://picasaweb.google.com/jmoss80917

PostSubject: Re: Wild Flower and a question   Wild Flower and a question Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2007 9:52 am

I used to have a 5000, so you would think I would know wouldn't you?

Well I don't. Wild Flower and a question 537381

I guess aperture priority if you have it will give you the DOF you need, it just depends on the shutter speed the Fuji sets.

I am sure one of the macro lovers will give you some idea. Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wild Flower and a question   Wild Flower and a question Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2007 2:34 pm

A nice idea, love the flowers up close and the mountains in the background.

I have no idea about your camera, but to get a closeup of the flowers you need the smallest F number and this will blur the background.
Back to top Go down
Griz
Addict
Addict
Griz

Male

PostSubject: Re: Wild Flower and a question   Wild Flower and a question Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2007 5:26 pm

Thanks, I do have aperture priority as a manual setting. I'll play with it and let you know how it works.

- Griz
Back to top Go down
Emilie Jay
Technical Advisor
Technical Advisor
Emilie Jay

Female
Number of posts : 488
Registration date : 2007-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Wild Flower and a question   Wild Flower and a question Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2007 9:25 pm

I love the mountains in the background it sure gives some dimension to the photo. Where was this taken?

As for the question...

The wider open the lens (the smaller the f-number) the shallower the depth of field (DOF). Conversely, the smaller the aperture (the larger the f-number) the greater the DOF

As Jan said, set your F-stop or F-number the lowest number possible. This will depend either on your camera or your lens. So you are looking at around F1.8 to F2.5

hugs
Emilie

Looking forward to seeing some nice DOF
Back to top Go down
http://www.siskastudios.com
Griz
Addict
Addict
Griz

Male

PostSubject: Re: Wild Flower and a question   Wild Flower and a question Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2007 9:42 pm

Thanks Emilie, The shot was taken in Chicago Basin in Southern Colorado. The basin is at about 9000ft.

Hhuuuugggssss (the long ones are always the best )
- Griz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wild Flower and a question   Wild Flower and a question Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Wild Flower and a question
Page 1 of 1